Thursday, October 8, 2009

Happy Trails to You!

One thing we've learned about being in the Black Hills after September is that a lot of things close for the winter. Yesterday we wanted to go up to Mt. Rushmore on the Iron Mountain Road. We "got right close," but around a corner came upon a closed gate. The road was closed. So we took an alternate route, but the one we wanted to go on has three tunnels, and they've arranged the tunnels so that you can see Mt. Rushmore through the tunnels. I'm sorry I missed that.

Anyway, Mt. Rushmore was awesome as usual. George Washington had a little snow "dandruff" on his shoulder.







After Rushmore, we went to Hill City and ate at the Alpine Inn. It was wonderful German fare, and we also had hot apple cider.

Then we wanted to travel the Needles Highway. It is known as such because of the pointed rock formations known as "needles." It was also closed. Both highways were closed because of the snow that had fallen Monday. So I guess I'll have to come back and see those places sometime when it's not snowing. But for now, I'm glad we came in this season.



Since Needles Highway was closed, we went to Custer and ate pie. I had rhubarb, my first try. I think it's delicious, Justin and Paul. I think the lady who waited on us was a little nervous about me trying it, but I loved it. It was just the right amount of sour and sweet. We got to talking to a local couple there at the pie shop, and talked for over an hour! That was different and fun! They told us about the wildlife they see from their house, and we talked and talked.



Then we went to the Crazy Horse Monument. It's an amazing project, much bigger in scope and size than Mt. Rushmore. I wonder if I'll be alive when it's finished. The museum there just goes and goes. It's a huge collection. You can't experience it in one visit. We stayed after dark for the light show, and were sorry we did, because when we left to go home it was dark and it was snowing...and we weren't familiar with the highway.



We finally made it back to the hotel after an hour's drive. We were both tired from the stress of trying to see through the blinding white snow.

This morning dawned cold. We decided at the last minute to catch the 1880's train from Hill City to Keystone and back, a round trip of 20 miles. We did get to the depot on time, but just barely. The train ride was a total of 2 hours, as the train goes a whopping 10 miles per hour. It was beautiful, but very cold! My feet and legs got real cold, and I wished I had put on my long john's!











After the ride, we went in to eat at the Hill City Cafe, where the waitresses were running their legs off, as a tour bus had just come in. The only seats were at the bar, so Jackie and I joined the other man there. I started talking to the man, who it turns out, is married to one of the waitresses. A local. So we talked and talked; he told us some more scenic routes to try that we hadn't yet...

So we went to Deerfield, and from there on gravel road to Rochport, and then up to Spearfish, where we are staying tonight.




The "non-road" we were on today!


At Spearfish, we joined up with Barbie and Dave and their son Jase at Sanford's to eat dinner. We spent an enjoyable two hours with them. Barbie used to work for a software company that Jackie does business with, and we had both met her before, but it was our first time to meet Dave and Jase. Jase showed me the wooden miner in the restaurant. He was amazing; a five-year-old that really behaved well the whole two hours that we visited.



All in all, we just haven't met any South Dakotan's that we wouldn't be proud to call friends. We have had an amazing vacation. We leave tomorrow to go to Wyoming to see Marie and John. We'll stay there for a day, then leave on Sunday morning to return to Texas. Great time, great sights, great experience!

3 comments:

Sister Midwife said...

The photos are amazing! Thank you for posting your tale and the gorgeous pics. I've never seen country like that-at least not in wintertime snow-covered beauty.

Angie said...

Oh boy! I know what we are doing for vacation this spring! We are the proud new owners of a pop up camper, and this looks like it would be just the kind of experience that we would like to have with our children! I saw Mt. Rushmore as a young child, about 3, when my family was headed up to Saskatchewan to visit my Great Granny.

Midwifemama said...

I'm glad you all have enjoyed the pictures! We're back home and trying to get back into the swing of things here! Sometimes that's hard to do!