Sunday, December 7, 2008

White sands, and maybe later

Yesterday I didn't blog because we spent the day at the beach and on the road, and came in late. I was tired because of little sleep the night before (jet lag), and as soon as the dishes were done I went to bed.



In the morning we went to a beach on the northwestern side of the island. It was very different from the local beach just a quarter of a mile away. We pulled up to the private beach, and a nice man showed us where the restrooms, the bar, the showers, and the beach was. All you have to do to swim there is to buy a drink or some food. We bought both, and enjoyed ourselves. They brought up chaise longues covered with towels and put them under some shades. We went into the slightly cool water with water shoes on because the bottom is both sandy and rocky. It was lovely. Of course it was lovely. I spoke with Jackie last night and he said that it was 25 or 26 degrees in Texas. I'm so sorry. I'm sweating over here. And we enjoyed God's creation of the sand, the sun, the seashells, and the surf yesterday. I really do absorb the beauty and worship the Creator.



I used some sunscreen but still managed to get a little sunburned. But the sea glass, seashells, and coral that I picked up more than made up for it. Let other girls go to the malls. I love the beach.



It was so beautiful to watch Rachael and Gilbert, knowing that soon, perhaps in a day or so, there would be one more in the equation. Happysad.



We showered off on the beach, then headed up to the car. We saw some small monkeys in the trees as we waited for Bob to settle up the bill. I'm not sure if they were watching us more or we were watching them more. We all enjoyed it.



We headed further north, going all the way to the north end of the island. We got stopped by policemen about five times, Bob talking all the time. I think they think he's a guide without the permit. You know, because he's native and we're not. So he's met quite a few of the local policemen.



We stopped several times on the trek, once to see a family with a little 4-year-old girl who was paralyzed shortly after birth by malaria. The mother held her, and Bob asked me my opinion about what might be best for her health, from nutrition to physical therapy. Hmmm. In the meantime, Jan is playing with the group of children that has gathered, and there are happy squeals and dancing and laughter beside us.



We also stop to buy about 20 pineapples. And we eat one in two sittings and make juice out of another one for lunch today. All in all, we stay out all day. It's really hard to believe that you can do that on the island, but I get the feeling we didn't do half of what there is to be done here.



Oh, and Mom, they have okra here. I thought I recognized the plants but was unbelieving of my own eyes until I asked Rachael. And sure enough, it grows here. We had a papaya from the back yard papaya tree for breakfast today. And Bob planted a mango seed today, after we ate the delicious mango.



This morning I head out for a walk by myself. It's the first time I've been out of the house by myself, and I get pictures of the flame tree and the anglican church that's about two blocks away. I'm not afraid, and I really enjoy myself.



When I come in, I meet Rachael. She looks a little...different. She keeps working through the morning and makes us lunch, but right now she's taking a little nap. She may be working real hard later on today. I'll keep you posted.

I tried to upload a picture, and it sure messed with this computer's mind, so I don't know what I'm going to do when I need to show you all a picture of the little one! I'll try to figure it out...

No comments: